Monday, December 12, 2011

GA State Iron Pour

This past Saturday, KSU packed up their furnace and brought it downtown to GSU for the Iron Pour.


It was pretty exciting. Both schools were pouring molds and the audience could buy a scratch block and watch it get poured.


This day was especially exciting for me, because when it was my turn to carry the ladle, I told my partner that I wanted to be the Driver.

So I was.

Basically I was in charge of tipping the bucket over and filling up the molds, as well as moving it around and not spilling it all over the place.

I did pretty well. When the iron was being poured into the ladle while we were holding it, I got slightly discouraged since it was heavy as crap, but we then poured half of it into the other group's ladle so they could work on molds too.

Me holding the live end of the ladle as it's being filled up:

Anyway we made our way over to the first mold after dancing around all the people who were in our way, and I poured it pretty smoothly. I stopped prematurely on the ones I managed to get to since I couldn't tell if they were full or not and had to wait for "Good!" when I was hoping for a "keep going..." kinda thing.

I'm leaning over behind the girl with the green patch on her jacket, but I'm doing the exact same thing as the girl in the very middle up at the top:

You have to hold the ladle in the position like the one in the picture above until you finish filling the mold. I only got to three molds since my arms could not handle it anymore and I passed it off to my backup. Which is why they're there. Which is good.

Basically that was all I did. I wished I had another job to do after, like shovel or backup for someone else, but there were so many people that only a few people got to do something twice.

The whole day was a bunch of fun. I was super nervous being live end, and I chose to do it, but I couldn't not do it. It worked out in the end though. I think. I don't know the results of my pouring abilities.




_______

No comments:

Post a Comment